Tuesday, August 12, 2008

School of Rock!



I recently got talking to a friend about my weird music taste. My friend, the hip-hop lover asked me what bands I liked, just to check if any were worth their names. I blabbered on about Mr. Hendrix to Mick Jagger and threw in Arctic Monkeys and a little bit of Joy Division.

To my surprise *I nearly fainted!!* my friend told me, I had a music taste which would make the people at the retirement house proud ! OMG! He further added that, I'm one of those young folks who like to talk to old people.

Does it make sense? NO!! I don't want to chat up people at the retirement house, and it ain't my fault if I prefer RAWK n Roll to Hip Hop. I like cheesy music too. But the topic of discussion here is Hip Hop Vs Rock.

I think my disgust with hip-hop & rap comes from me going to too many clubs with my friends where they play the genre. I swear the genre is for young horny teens who are looking to get it off with anything that moves! I maybe wrong...BUT it's my blog, it's my opinion!

Everytime, I've been to a club where they play hip hop-rap !blah! I've had some guy try to hold my hand and make me dance with him. Call me old fashioned, but that is not my idea of having a "good time!" Besides, I hardly ever recognize the "non commercial" hip hop music these young 'uns talk about. I've heard of Modest Mouse and that's all hunky dory but goddamnit it'll NEVER EVER EVER be as good as listening to Eric Clapton do his guitar magic.

I was at Jamboree in Barcelona last year, the club has two floors. The ground floor which is super crowded plays, hip hop. Since my friends LOVE hip hop I ended up getting bored on the ground floor *not really bored but more like I didn't enjoy the music, I enjoyed my friend's tomfoolery*. I swayed a bit, danced a little, but clearly my friends could make out that I was really wishing I'd rather be in the hotel room sleeping!

The first floor plays, rock and roll, retro, indie and the like. After a while, I begged them to go up! Boy! Was it worth the wait :) My friends were a bit shocked to see the difference in me. It was like someone had handed me a red bull and I was full of ZING (???) In a hip hop club, I'd not even give a guy a second look, but on the second floor, I was singing *more like screaming* AC DC "I shook you all night long" with a bunch of total random blokes!

Yes...It's only Rock & Roll, but I like it :D

xxx

2 comments:

Electric Shaman said...

i don't live in a retirement home. can i still chat you up???? pleeeeeeeeaaaaseeee

Shrutters said...

if i say no would that make you not chat me up? Nope ! *sighs* ;)