Sunday, August 24, 2008

Arrgh! Am I Fugly?

I just finished watching a documentary, Super Botox Me, on Channel 4. It was by the girl with the brains, who also happens to be one of my fave journalist, Kate Spicer. I've seen few of her stuff before and she handles all topics with such grace, presenting both the sides of the argument.

The topic was, as is quite obvious by the title, Botox and cosmetic surgery. I was grossed out watching all the things she gets done, but there was a part of me that frowned at the mirror and touched my forehead looking for wrinkles.

Wrinkles is a long time away for me, but I know as a matter of fact I'll get them pretty soon. I blame on bad genes and sloppy with make up. But meh!

Anyhow, in the show, Kate Spice flies off to Botox nation, America to find out more about cosmetic surgeries and in the end she gets a lot of treatment done. I personally think she looked better without the surgeries, but that is just me being, "love yourself for who you are" me!

The thing is, I am very vain. I don't know if it comes from people telling me that I'm beautiful or is it because I am part of a good looking gene pool.

I remember when I first heard about cosmetic surgery at a very young age, I was straight away very anti-surgery. I can't imagine not growing old gracefully. Yes, I lead a very unhealthy lifestyle, and probably by the time I'm 40, I'd regret having such principles. But the fact remains, if you get Botox done, it IS noticeable. Maybe, not so much in America, because everyone there is Botoxed, but elsewhere in Normal World, people would know.

I get picked on a lot of things that are weird about my looks. My brother teases me about my nose, my mom thinks I should remove my beauty spot *gasps*, Mr Schitt calls me fat. But something seriously must be wrong with me, because even with all that I really really really like myself. :(

Sure, I'm young right now and I can show off about having beautiful skin, but my sister who is in her early 30s has beautiful skin. I think both of us were introduced to make up at a very later stage in life. I know I didn't use make up till I nineteen, and even now I'd whine and moan while putting make up for a night out (that is the only time I would bother with make up!)

Cosmetic surgery I feel is anti-feminism, but more than anything else it is anti-self. It must do real harm to your self esteem to think you are not good enough. Whether it's to remove wrinkles or to shapen your nose.

Kate Spice handled the topic of principles really well. You could see that she was really struggling with switching sides from being anti-cosmetic surgery to pro. At the end of the day, it is everyone's personal choice. But before you do anything to yourself, I think everyone should remember that they are beautiful just the way the are.

Beauty, even though it's cliched, is what is on the inside. So dig deep, you might find something without the help of others.

xxx

No comments: