Monday, September 15, 2008

Normality


The following text is entirely fictional. Resemblance to any person living or dead is purely coincidental. :)

She stood there waiting for the bus. The cold was hurting her fingers as she clenched the grocery bags. She looked up and that's when she saw it. "Come visit us in sunny Florida", it read. She smiled, thinking of him. He was so happy that day, that beautiful sunny day.

"Babe, I got the job, I got the job ! It's in Daytona Beach." Her heart dropped. That's half the world away. She put on a brave smile and said, "Congratulations honey, you deserve it." She held on to him, for support, as if it were farewell already. He whispered into her ear, "Come with me, we'll see the world together." She stared back, he knew those empty eyes would never make false promises. He knew, she knew, it was the beginning of an end.

She's back home now, trying to settle in to the warmth of the house. A child is crying in the flat nearby, a dinner being cooked, a family sitting together for prime time television. "Why is it so messy?" she hears an angry voice. She sighs, he's home early tonight. She goes to the kitchen to clean up, stares out at the blinking city lights. "Come with me..." she hears the whisper, "we'll see the world together."

She shuts her eyes, for that one moment she misses him and lets the silent tears roll down.

xxx

3 comments:

Electric Shaman said...

Very very surreal. Didn't know you had it all in you!!!

Shrutters said...

Yeah I know, I didn't know I had it all in me either :P

Anonymous said...

maddnneessssss